Tara C. Narayanan
Shareholder, Walnut Creek
Tara C. Narayanan
Shareholder, Walnut Creek
As a shareholder in Miller Starr Regalia’s Common Interest Development and Title Industry Practice Groups, Tara Castro Narayanan helps clients form governing associations and obtain final subdivision public reports for common interest developments, and helps resolve clients’ title insurance, escrow and other real property disputes.
Tara has over 18 years of experience representing clients––from multi-million dollar companies to small businesses and individuals––in both state and federal courts. Her areas of experience include:
- Common interest developments, particularly final subdivision reports and governing documents for residential, commercial and mixed-use developments and related easement and joint-use agreements.
- The title industry, particularly title insurance coverage and escrow handling.
- Lender/mortgagee title and priority disputes.
- Real property litigation, including actions to quiet title regarding easements, encroachments, illegal subdivisions.
- Construction-related litigation, including construction defect prosecution and defense, and defense of mechanics lien and stop notice actions.
She represents developers and builders, title companies and insurers, escrow holders, lenders, contractors, and business owners.
Tara previously served on the firm’s four-person Executive Committee. She is also past-chair of Miller Starr Regalia’s Diversity Committee and serves on the firm’s mentoring committee.
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law (1997)
B.A., University of California, Berkeley (1993)
- Phi Beta Kappa and with honors
- Building Industry Association (BIA), Bay Area
- Vice President, Bureau of Real Estate Committee
- Professional Women in Building (PWB) Council
- California Building Industry Association (CBIA)
- Legal Affairs Committee
- Bureau of Real Estate Council
- California Land Title Association (CLTA)
- California Minority Counsel Program (CMCP)
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW), East Bay Chapter – Former Chair, Programs Committee
- Leadership Contra Costa Alumni Association (LCCAA) – Board Member
- Chapter 28 (previously Chapter 25B), “Common Interest Developments,” Miller & Starr, California Real Estate 4th (co-author)
- Chapter 25B, “Common Interest Developments,” Miller & Starr, California Real Estate 3d (co-author)
- Chapter 6, “Escrows,” Miller & Starr, California Real Estate 3d
- “New Case Alert: Dissent Highlights Disturbing Potential for Increasing Escrow Holder Policing and Disclosure Obligations,” Miller Starr Regalia’s The Title & Escrow File blog, March 4, 2014
- “Trustee Empowered To Void Foreclosure Sale Where Error Discovered Before Delivery Of Trustee’s Deed,” Miller Starr Regalia’s The Title & Escrow File blog, May 21, 2013
- “One-Stop Shop? Court Finds No Violation Of California’s Notary Statute Limiting Fees Charged For “Taking An Acknowledgement” Where Additional Services Provided,” Miller Starr Regalia’s The Title & Escrow File blog, February 8, 2013
- “A Cautionary Tale On Holding Title: Marriage License Does Not Override Domestic Partnership Agreement,” Miller Starr Regalia’s The Title & Escrow File blog, January 22, 2013
- “Identifying Red Flags to Avoid Fraud in an Escrow,” Miller Starr Regalia’s The Title & Escrow File blog, November 16, 2012
- Over the years, Tara has also published a variety of articles on subjects such as title insurance claims, damages setoff, guarantees, and premises liability.
SPEECHES & PRESENTATIONS
- Tara has served as a speaker/panelist on condominium plans as well as escrow liability and developments in escrow law at the California Escrow Association’s Northern California Conference, the California Escrow Association Annual Conference, and has presented to individual escrow organizations throughout the state.
- Tara has also addressed diversity in the legal profession in forums that include the California State Bar Annual Meeting.
- All State Superior Courts
- Court of Appeal of the State of California
- District Court of California, Northern District
- District Court of California, Central District
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Central District of California
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of California